Becka's blog rotating header image loading ... please wait....

Posts Tagged ‘dresses’

Winter projects


I've had a couple of weeks recently without a lot of outside activities so I've had time to tackle a few winter projects.

The wooden cabinets in the kitchen were really bothering me. They had some scratches, nicks, and water spots. I had been contemplating what to do to make them look better for some time. Fortunately I read a post by Brenda over at Coffee, Tea, Books, and Me where she told how she cares for her wood furniture. Her husband has an advanced degree in wood science. I purchased a bottle of Old English Scratch Remover for light wood at Lowes and used it on my cabinets after giving them a good washing with Murphy's Oil Soap. It was amazing to see the difference. I'm planning to make this an annual event. 🙂 I would highly recommend that you try this product if you have wood furniture which needs a lift.

OldEnglish

Another kitchen project which I've started is lining my lower cabinets with self-stick vinyl tiles. The contact paper that DD Nora put in when we first moved here was looking pretty shabby. I've been buying a few tiles each time I go to Lowes and then installing them little by little. It's kind of tedious work cutting around all the little supports but the finished product with be worth it.

CabinetVinylTiles

The most fun project was making a new little dress for Maddie who will turn one on Valentine's Day. The pattern I used for Maddie's dress is one that I used to make a dress for Megan when she was a baby. I made her one similar to the picture with the three colors of gingham.

MegBabyDress
I did change it up quite a bit by adding a little apron, a ruffle around the bottom, and with the addition of some yoyos and heart buttons on the bodice.

picture of Maddie's apron dress

Have you had time for any new projects recently?

Becka


Print this post Print this post
E-mail this post to a friend
Share this post on Facebook

If you enjoyed this post, get my RSS feed or get my posts by e-mail


Little Dresses


It has been many years since I had a little girl to sew for. When my daughters were small there were some wonderful fabric outlets near here where we could purchase fabric and trims very inexpensively. We were very blessed. Today it is hard to find nice dress weight fabrics in this area. I shopped at several stores (including Mary Jo's in Gastonia) to try to find small scale prints which would be a good choice for a tiny girl. Before we made our trip to Michigan this summer I had a lot of fun making these little dresses for Maddie. They are all too large for her to wear yet, but hopefully she will be able to wear them eventually. I also made her some bloomers to wear with the dresses.

This is a Children's Corner pattern called Frannie Baby. I had never used one of these patterns before. I liked the fact that they have actual pattern pieces for all the sizes included in the pattern--no tracing required. I did find the directions to be a bit sketchy. However, there are you-tube videos available explaining different techniques if you google Children's Corner and look on the website. The videos are very helpful. I was pleased with the finished garments.

I made this little "bee" dress with a pattern from The Handmade Dress. This is the second little dress I have made from this pattern. It goes together quickly and easily.

The last little number I made for Maddie was a little bubble suit pattern from Creations by Michie. She has a lot of cute patterns for baby girls and boys. This one also went together easily.

It was a lot of fun to sew up some girly things once again and I hope to be able to make her many more little dresses before she gets too big to want to wear something "home made."

Becka


Print this post Print this post
E-mail this post to a friend
Share this post on Facebook

If you enjoyed this post, get my RSS feed or get my posts by e-mail